I have tried to check if the Hans Jacob Kauffman who wrote the diary entry linked to yesterday is in our line. We do have a Jacob Kauffman and an Isaac Kauffman in the Hostetler line, both married to women named Anna. A Barbara and an Anna Maria Kauffman appear as immigrants at the same time as Hans Jacob Kauffman. Our Jacob Kauffman was married to an Anna Mast. So . . . haven't pieced this together yet for sure.
However, Christian and Barbara Hershberger, who were ancestral immigrants for both the Hershbergers and Ho[ch]stetlers, were also on that ship at that time. I think I read a detailed account of voyage conditions in a book I have about German immigrants to Pennsylvania. When I have access to that book again, I'll take a look and share that with you. Mr. Kauffman recorded 25 deaths in the 83-day trip. Not sure how many passengers there were at the beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment