"Hereditary diseases in the Hertzler families are consumption [ed. note: tuberculosis], blindness, and epilepsy."
An interesting comment by the author of this tome: “Young persons should be taught the value of health and the means of preserving it, which is by the subjugation of every immoderate desire, appetite or passion.” I am still trying to discern what the author meant by this statement: “Hereditary descent of mental talent is likewise evident from a number of facts, that many men may be given to profound thought and possess extensive knowledge united with sterling honesty, being by nature endowed with the highest order of talent, and yet be wanting in good common sense.” There seems to be some punctuation missing, but I think I agree with the statement after the first comma! And that was quite a mouthful!
John Hertzler, Sr. A brief biographic memorial of Jacob Hertzler and a complete genealogical family register of his lineal descendants and those related by inter-marriage : from 1730 to 1883, chronologically arranged : together with the necessary historical and other notes : also, an appendix of the Christian Zug family, Elkhart, Ind.: Mennonite Pub. Co., 1885, p. 341.
No comments:
Post a Comment