Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jonas and Lizzie (Miller) Hostetler's Home


This is the house Jonas and Lizzie lived in while raising their children on the farm. It had a porch on the left that ran the length of the house. As I remember it, there was a large living room downstairs in front, and another large room -- probably the dining area with kitchen, in back. There might have been a bedroom downstairs, but most bedrooms were upstairs. Behind the house was a separate building called the summer kitchen. It was cool in the summer, made of cement block, if I remember correctly. There was a barn and perhaps other outbuildings nearby. I remember some water, perhaps a pond, nearby, always visited by dragonflies.

I don't know if this house still exists. The farm was strip-mined at one point and, of course, didn't look anymore at all like I remembered. Jonas and Lizzie spent their later years on a different property not too far away from what had been their farm.

No comments: