For the present, if you're following this blog, I invite you to say hello once in awhile. Also, if there are particular things you'd like to see presented, or questions you'd like me to delve into, please let me know. I have to admit my research has been quite curtailed for a number of weeks due to other responsibilities. But I'll be happy to look into something that's of special interest, if I can do it at my own pace.
Also, if you have suggestions for how I go about sharing information, please let me know. I personally really enjoy stories. But a lot of information I have doesn't have much story context. Somtimes we can put together a bit of a story, and I'll try to do that when the material lends itself to that.
Now I'm going to get on a bit of a soapbox related to this day. I've recently been part of a Bible study using the Five Aspects of Woman material. http://www.fiveaspects.org/
I guess this material is somewhat controversial but at this point, I agree with the two positive reviews of it at amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188389316X/102-6863673-5681704?v=glance&n=283155 Once I finish the study, it will take some time to think it all through and evaluate the comments of the negative review. It is thought provoking, that's for sure.
I feel like I came quite late to a comprehensive view of the roles of men and women as God intended. So I'd like to honor women who nurture and teach others, a part of the role they have. The most obvious in our midst are mothers. Our society tends to devalue and diminish their work, as though others can raise children just as well or even better than a child's own parents. But according to God, a parent's work is of high priority and very important. Because the assignment is to teach children to know God.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, . . .Deuteronomy 6: 5-7; 30: 19b-20a
So I salute you mothers and honor your sacrifices. May the Lord bless the work of your hands and may your children be attentive to your teaching!
(If you're a father, don't feel left out. Father's Day is coming!)
2 comments:
I like the stories. Sometimes I get lost in the other information! :)
I just finished reading a book about how we are losing our domestic arts. One of the main points the author makes is that the work of home (cooking, cleaning, caring for children) has been devalued. We don't see it as meaningful work but as below us. It was an intersting book
What was the title (and author)? I would be interested in mentioning it to the women doing that Bible study.
I am thinking about possibly finding a different venue for the family history information. I know when you're reading something in a hurry, you don't have time to look up where a particular person fits into the family tree. Or I might develop a code so you'll know what relation that person is to you. Thanks for your feedback.
Post a Comment