Using the Hostetler database, we see a Christian and Barbara Hershberger as ancestors of Abraham Hochstetler, as well as of Emanuel Hershberger. A Christian Hersberge, a Barbara Hersberge, and two Hersberge children, Anna and Peter, (as transcribed) appear on a list of people who came to America on the Charming Nancy. The list was certified as true in Philadelphia October 8, 1737 by the Commander from Rotterdam, Charles Stedman. I think we can assume the ship arrived in October of 1737. Since Christian and Barbara Hershberger in the Hostetler database did have two older children named Anna and Peter, I think we can assume this is the family, and that they immigrated in 1737. It is thought that Christian Hershberger was born in Switzerland about 1714.
Our line, on both the Hostetler and Hershberger sides, actually descends from a younger son of Christian and Barbara: John, and his wife, Veronica Dilabaugh.
Christian Hershberger is mentioned in a Web site giving history on the Northkill Amish Settlement, Berks County, Pennsylvania (the first organized Amish settlement in America, by 1740)
http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Features/northkill.html
I note that THE Jacob Hochstetler of our line is also mentioned on that page. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other ancestors mentioned as well, but I haven’t checked that out yet. (For example, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the name “Hertzler.”) Didn’t know we had such noteworthy people in our family! Well, I guess we're all noteworthy, we just don't get much public attention, which is alright by me!
No comments:
Post a Comment