I don’t have access to the information in that booklet right now, so may return to tell more about him at another time. As I remember, he served as an engineer, finding mines. That is how he met his death. He was awarded a Purple Heart, which is in the keeping of the family.
I have the text of a couple of letters he sent to family, however.

June 27, 1942
Fredericksburg VA
Dear Bro. & Family
Will try and scripple a few lines in a hurry to let you know that I am still among the living also hope this will find you in good health. We have been in this dump for about two weeks and I hate it more everyday of coarse I expect the worst is yet to come the way everything is going in the old country hope it will change soon. Well, it is about chow time if you know what that is. Well here I am back from chow we had a pretty good feed for a change. I only ate about four pork chops a sweet potatoe carrots a few slices of bread with butter and apple butter and orange ade. Well, I am going to try and get a pass to come home over the Week end July fourth So if you want to see me come home on the fifth of course do not be to disapointed if I do not show up for in this man’s army seeing is believing and that is for sure. I would have tried it this week end but my name happened to be on the sheet for K.P. on Sunday. So that means scrup pans and pots to-morrow, Well, news around here is kind of scarce so I Will close With love and The Best of Wishes So Long
Emanuel
[SENDERS NAME] PFC Emanuel Hershberger
[SENDERS ADDRESS] [ed. note: can’t read this line]
APO 2978PM NEW YORK [ed. note: not sure of numbers]
CITY NEW YORK
[DATE] MAR 18 1943
Mr.Mrs. Jacob Hershberger
OHIO. U.S.A.
Dear Brother & Family
Will now try and scripple a few lines in a hurry to let you know that I am still living and in fair health, hoping it will find you all the same. Why don’t you waken up and write once in a while or are you mad at me? Hope not. Well we have real nice weather at the present time Wonder have you moved yet? I had a fairly light hour class last week and I had a nice time [ed. note: can’t read this line very well] Well news is kind of scarce around here so I will close with the best of wishes Good by – now answer soon As ever
Bro. Emanuel
The other son who did not return was Noah J. Hostetler, the eldest son of Jonas A. Hostetler and Lizzie Miller. In 1930, he was almost 4 years old, living with his parents and brothers and sister in Salt Creek Township, Wayne County, Ohio. Here is some of the information from the U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record.
Birth Year: 1926
Enlistment Date: 23 Sep 1944
Enlistment City and State: Cleveland, Ohio
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Education: Grammar school
Civil Occupation: Geographer
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
A sister of Noah told me he informed his parents that he had named his mother as beneficiary on his life insurance policy. If he perished, he wanted his parents to use the proceeds of the policy to purchase a farm. When they sold the farm, they were to distribute the proceeds equally among his brothers and sisters. The proceeds of that policy were used to purchase their farm in Fredericksburg.
By telling their stories, we honor the memory of these two men and their courage in serving their country.
No comments:
Post a Comment